Many people ask me how to live a greener everyday life. I feel confused sometimes myself, as there's a jungle of different opinions and more or less acknowledged truths out there. What is right today might turn out to be false tomorrow, but there are some common features you can look out for and implement for a greener everyday life. Remember that the simple solutions are often the best! So this is my top five list:
1) Choose renewable energy, recycle and re-use.
- You know why. The greenest energy is the energy we don't use!
2) Travel green
- Make something useful out of your traveling. Networking and linking sustainability to traveling makes the experience so much more meaningful!
- Make international communication become global cooperation!
- Use trains, subway, local buses, environmentally certified hotels.
- Be an eco- tourist. Full time or as much as possible. Try hiking in the forests or mountains!
3) Eat green
- Vegetables, chicken and fish leave a considerably smaller ecological footprint than meat, palm oil etc. Homemade food with pure ingredients is great both for you and the environment. Want to try delicious vegetarian dishes? Try Indian or Moroccan recipes!
- Try using ecological, and/ or short- traveled food. Or maybe cultivate your own?
4) Support environmental organizations.
- I am a Rainforest Guard for instance, giving a set amount each month for preserving rainforests through the Rainforest Foundation.
5) Be creative!
- Common sense usually works. Any product, activity, or means of transport that requires energy leaves an ecological footprint. The more complex and grand, the more resources are used. Go for the simple solutions!
- Use ordinary (or organic) cooking oil mixed with lemon juice (30:1) for maintaining the
veranda, furniture etc instead of the toxic versions you can buy in stores. I tried, and it works!
- Support, live and share attitudes. Involvment is everything!
If you look at the list, notice how often an environmental approach can lead to good health and better economy. We get a tripple win situation, as everything is interlinked!